One of the downsides of traditional metal braces is the patient’s prolonged difficulty to maintain their oral hygiene routine like they’re used to. Luckily, innovations in the dental health landscape have made it possible for patients to be able to attain their dream smiles without sacrificing their dental hygiene. Clear aligners are not only discreet and effective but also highly convenient, as they are removable throughout the course of the alignment. This allows patients to be able to go about their regular routines and hygiene regimens without sacrificing progress – all they need to do is remove their teeth aligners to eat or attend to their teeth as needed, and place them back on once they’re finished.
Can you whiten your teeth while wearing aligners?
During most traditional alignment treatments, dentists will recommend that the patient refrains from using certain teeth whitening methods. This is because for traditional braces, whether they are made of metal or ceramic, brackets are bonded to a patient’s teeth during the course of treatment. This obstructs whitening products from accessing the parts of the teeth under the brackets, and if a patient chooses to use them while their braces are installed, they will be left with an uneven, two-toned smile. Whitening strips and whitening trays are off the table for patients wearing traditional metal or ceramic braces, but whitening toothpaste and mouthwash are still allowed.
On the other hand, patients wearing invisible aligners don’t have to worry about the same issues. Because aligners are removable and don’t cause the same obstruction that traditional braces do, teeth whitening products are able to reach the teeth’s nooks and crannies once they are applied directly on teeth with the aligners off. Whitening toothpaste and mouthwash are allowed as well as whitening strips and whitening trays, allowing patients to achieve both a well-aligned and pearly white smile.
How to practice good oral hygiene with clear aligners
Apart from being discreet and keeping users away from the metal mouth appearance that traditional braces give them, clear aligners also make it easy and convenient to take care of teeth during treatment. Of course, while pursuing that beautiful, perfect smile, it’s still crucial to maintain a proper hygiene regime to avoid any dental or gum problems afterward. Below are some ways to practice good oral hygiene with clear aligners, as well as some tools that can help keep teeth sparkling clean.
- Invest in a good-quality toothbrush – A good-quality toothbrush is one of the most effective instruments you can have when maintaining your oral hygiene. Some people personally prefer manual toothbrushes while others opt for electric toothbrushes. Manual toothbrushes are considerably more budget-friendly and accessible, while electric toothbrushes are more effective when it comes to combating plaque. Whichever one you choose, the most important thing is that you brush regularly and for a minimum of two minutes for each session, making sure that each tooth is well scrubbed.
- Floss regularly – Even after brushing, there can still be food debris or plaque present in the mouth, especially between teeth. Flossing regularly, at least once a day and preferably before bed after meals, makes sure that even the spaces between your teeth are well cleaned. Regular dental floss is sufficient for patients with clear aligners but orthodontic flossers and floss threaders can help speed up the process.
- Use a water flosser – For spaces that are more difficult to reach and especially along the gum line, water flossers are a handy tool that can help achieve that squeaky clean feeling. While it isn’t a substitute for regular flossing and it isn’t a requirement for orthodontic patients, water flossers are a helpful tool for getting teeth extra clean and knocking stubborn pieces of food debris loose.
- Finish off with a fluoride mouthwash – Wearing braces, whatever kind they might be, may give patients a higher likelihood of getting cavities because they can sometimes trap food and plaque. Wrapping up your dental hygiene routine with a high-quality fluoride mouthwash is a good way to cap the day off with extra protection.
Dos and Don’ts for keeping your teeth clean while using clear aligners
Now that we have gone over some helpful tools, below are some handy tips for keeping your teeth clean while using clear aligners.
- DO adhere to your oral hygiene regimen – Having the tools you need for proper dental hygiene is only the first step. Especially during the course of your alignment, it is important to always adhere to your oral hygiene regimen to make sure your dental and gum health is well taken care of.
- DO brush your teeth after every meal – While you only really need to do your full oral hygiene routine at night when you have finished eating for the day, it’s a healthy habit to brush your teeth after every meal. Making sure that there is no food debris or plaque stuck in your mouth throughout the day will make it much easier for your teeth to get clean at the end of the day.
- DO feel free to whiten teeth within reason – Clear aligners are one of the only teeth alignment methods that offer you the luxury of teeth whitening during the course of treatment. However, it is crucial to stay well-informed with the whitening products you are using, as well as making sure that you are not whitening your teeth to the point of sacrificing dental health for aesthetics.
- DON’T regularly consume food that can stain teeth – Prevention is better than cure, so avoiding food that can leave stains on your teeth means that you won’t have to go through the trouble of reversing their effects afterwards. This includes drinks like coffee and food that are highly sugary or acidic as they may erode your enamel.
- DON’T forget to clean your clear aligners regularly – When cleaning your teeth, don’t forget to also clean your aligners! Making sure to scrub them clean of any buildup or remaining debris helps keep them (and you!) looking great.
- DON’T neglect your alignment plan – After your oral hygiene routine, don’t forget to put your aligners back on your teeth. Invisible braces prices vary from case to case but they are a worthwhile investment that should be well maintained and adhered to. Dental hygiene is important, but so is your alignment plan, and to ensure that your progress is on the right track, be sure to wear your aligners according to the recommended hours your dentist has prescribed to you.
Why come to ALINA for clear aligners in the Philippines
Because they are so effective, convenient, and discreet, clear aligners are highly popular among those who want to achieve perfectly aligned teeth. But those who really want to uncover their smile should talk to their dentist about ALINA today. With ALINA, you can expect:
- Better materials – ALINA’s clear aligners are made with a space-age material approved by the US Food and Drug Administration, so you know it’s reliable and safe to use.
- Better technology – The AlinaSmile technology that we use is powered by Ai and helps determine the best position not just of your teeth, but your other features as well, to help you achieve your most beautiful smile.
- Better results – Only ALINA gives you more than 25 years of experience in aesthetic dentistry, with thousands of satisfied patients.
To learn more about the process and philosophy behind this approach, visit our how ALINA works pages.
With invisible braces, the dream of perfectly aligned teeth is entirely possible without the hassle and downsides of traditional teeth alignment methods. To begin your journey towards your dream smile, book a consult with us today.