Many teeth alignment braces are now available in fixing the misaligned teeth that bother you. One of them is clear aligners treatment, which is becoming a popular alternative to traditional braces due to the many benefits it gives.
However, have you ever wondered if clear aligners treatment is for everyone? Continue reading to find out.
What are clear aligners?
Clear aligners use a series of transparent custom-made plastic aligners that allow the movement of your teeth to their perfect desired position. It corrects various mild to moderate dental and bite problems such as crowded teeth, overbite, crooked teeth, and wide space gaps.
Clear aligners straighten misaligned teeth without the hassle and discomfort of wearing traditional braces or undergoing invasive dental procedures.
Benefits of clear aligners
You may have already heard or read about the many benefits clear aligners give in one’s journey to straighter teeth. And it’s true, dental treatment with clear aligners is much easier, more comfortable, and more flexible compared with traditional braces.
1. Comfort and flexibility. Of course, you want to be in the best comfort while getting your teeth aligned. Clear aligners are definitely the one for you.
Clear aligners are more comfortable because they are made of plastic that is smoother and lighter. No heavy and rough brackets and wires, unlike metal braces which are uncomfortable and might cause canker sores and wounds in your mouth.
It will also offer you the flexibility you need. Clear aligners are not fixed on your teeth and mouth and can be easily removed whenever you eat, drink, or clean your teeth.
2. Faster. Afraid of the long treatment duration of metal braces? Clear aligners can give you an immediate fix to your misaligned teeth. Clear aligner treatment duration is much shorter compared to traditional braces.
3. Better Appearance. Anxious about the distracting and unappealing brackets and wires from metal braces?
Luckily, clear aligners are almost invisible and less noticeable. So you can now go on dates and social gatherings and flash your beautiful smile without hesitation!
4. Better Oral Hygiene. Aligning your teeth would be in vain if you have poor oral health and hygiene.
With clear aligners treatment, oral hygiene is much better and achievable as compared with traditional braces treatment. Why? Cleaning your teeth (brushing and flossing) is much easier because your aligner trays can be removed.
With regular and proper brushing and flossing, you will not accumulate dental plaque, or have gingivitis and other gum diseases while using clear aligners.
How do clear aligners straighten your teeth?
Wondering how exactly clear aligners are straightening your teeth? Well, just like traditional teeth braces, clear aligners work by applying pressure to your teeth which gradually and carefully move them into a new desired position.
However, fixing your misaligned teeth with clear aligners is much easier and more convenient. It usually follows these easy steps:
1. Scanning of your teeth. To better assess your dental problem, your orthodontist will first do a 3D scanning of your teeth. After this, your aligner trays will be fabricated using a 3D printer.
2. Wearing of aligner trays. You will wear multiple sets of aligner trays which will move your teeth a couple of millimeters. Keep in mind that these are a model of the future position of your teeth, not the current.
3. Feeling pressure and inflammation. As you wear your aligner trays, pressure will be applied to your teeth in order to move them. Inflammation in your gums is expected as your teeth move gradually.
But relax, this inflammation is necessary as it will allow biochemical processes in your dental bones, which are essential to your treatment, to take place.
How long should you wear your clear aligners?
Ideally, you have to wear each of your aligner trays for a week or two. And in order for it to be effective, you should wear your aligner trays no less than 22 hours per day.
Clear aligners are removable, making eating and cleaning your teeth easier and more comfortable.
However, you will not successfully get the desired outcome you are expecting from clear aligners if you fail to wear them for 22 hours a day. Keep in mind that our teeth have a strong tendency to move back to their previous position. With clear aligners, consistency is significant.
Clear aligner treatment lasts usually about 6 to 12 months (depending on the case).
Who Can’t Wear Clear Aligners?
Despite its many benefits when it comes to fixing misaligned teeth, there are some cases and situations that may make your orthodontist decide to go with other dental treatments instead of clear aligners. This includes the following:
- Severe overbite and dental problems. Traditional braces such as metal braces may be the most efficient and appropriate treatment to address severe and complex dental problems such as severe overbite and large dental gaps.
- Tooth shape. Too-short or pegged teeth can prevent clear aligners from working properly.
- Tooth position. Clear aligners cannot shift too-rotated teeth in proper alignment.
- Smokers. Patients who smoke and are not willing to stop during treatment should not decide to go with clear aligners as smoking may cause discoloration of aligner trays.
- Children. Clear aligners are best for adults or teens. Fixing dental problems among children is more complicated. Their mouths are still growing and developing. Also, they are too young to follow the steps needed in taking care of clear aligner trays.
- Not willing to wear aligners for 22 hours a day. Clear aligners treatment requires consistency and dedication. Aligner trays need to be worn at least 22 hours per day for them to be effective.
Your orthodontist will have a better opinion on whether or not you should get clear aligners in fixing your misaligned teeth.
In the Philippines, ALINA Invisible Braces is one of the fastest-growing, trusted, and most convenient providers of clear aligners. Looking for a smile that complements your facial features and is uniquely designed for you? ALINA can give you that!
ALINA corrects your dental issues while considering your facial symmetry, balance, the shape of your jaw, and the angle of your teeth.
To learn more, book an online consultation with ALINA and get your perfect smile journey started.