When you bite down, your teeth should slightly overlap in the middle. If they don’t, you may have a dental condition called open bite.
If you have an open bite, you may be curious about invisible braces. They’re one of the newest, most innovative teeth misalignment treatments on the market today—but will they work for you? Read on to learn how invisible braces work, and if they’re worth trying out as an open bite treatment.
What is an Open Bite?
In an open bite, both the upper teeth and lower teeth slant forward, leaving a significant gap between them when the mouth is closed. Open bites can occur in either the front or back of the mouth, but most people use the term to refer to anterior open bite, which affects the front teeth.
An open bite can be caused by a variety of factors, including genetics, improper oral hygiene, or trauma to the mouth. They aren’t just a cosmetic issue; they can cause lasting problems with speech, eating, and oral health if left untreated.
What Problem Can Come from Having an Open Bite?
An open bite can affect the way you look, how you speak, how you eat, and even your overall oral health. Some of the most common consequences of this condition can include:
- Lack of Confidence – When you have an open bite, it can be difficult to feel confident about your appearance. Many people with this condition experience feelings of embarrassment and self-consciousness, particularly when they smile.
- Speech Issues – Open bites can also affect your ability to speak clearly. Many people with this condition develop lisps or other speech impediments. This is because the tongue cannot move correctly in the mouth and, as a result, sounds are produced differently than they would be normally.
- Difficulty Eating – People with an open bite can also experience discomfort when they bite and chew. They could also end up chewing on only one side at a time, which would lead to uneven wear on each tooth surface over time.
- Severe Teeth Damage – If your teeth are worn unevenly from an open bite, you may be at risk for a host of dental issues. These include cracked teeth, tooth erosion, and even chronic jaw pain. If left untreated, these dental issues can develop into other conditions that threaten the rest of your body, like heart disease or respiratory infections.
Living with an open bite can make even the most basic tasks a pain. If you experience any of these symptoms, seek treatment as soon as you can.
Are Invisible Braces Effective for Open Bite?
Invisible braces, sometimes referred to as clear aligners, are custom-made plastic trays that fit directly over your teeth and slowly move them into their optimal positions. They are most effective in treating mild or moderate cases of open bite.
Benefits of Using Invisible Braces
Invisible braces like ALINA are a great alternative to traditional metal braces. Because they’re convenient, comfortable, and look great on, they’ve become a popular choice for fixing teeth misalignment conditions like open bite. Patients can enjoy:
- Great Aesthetics – Invisible braces are made from plastic and can be worn discreetly throughout the day. This allows you to get on with your daily routine without having to worry about adjusting or feeling self-conscious while eating or talking with friends.
- Good Oral Health and Hygiene – Invisible braces treat open bite without needing any drilling or grinding down on natural enamel, causing no damage to your teeth. Trays are also taken off for meals, brushing, and flossing, so you can easily keep your teeth sparkling clean.
- Exceptional Convenience – With ALINA, your invisible braces are delivered straight to your door, so there’s no need for time-consuming adjustments at the orthodontist’s office.
- More Comfort – Invisible braces give you all the benefits of metal braces without the bulk or pain caused by wires and brackets.
What to Expect From Your Treatment
In the case of ALINA invisible braces, treatment starts with a virtual consultation. You’ll meet with an expert who can diagnose the condition of your teeth and say whether you can benefit from using aligners.
If you are eligible for treatment with invisible braces, you’ll be directed to a licensed orthodontist. They’ll take a scan of your teeth and use 3D modeling software to design a custom treatment plan for you. They’ll print a custom set of trays that will be sent to your home.
The price of invisible braces varies from person to person based on the severity of your malocclusion, the projected length of treatment, and other factors.
Invisible braces work by applying constant, even pressure to all sides of your teeth. You’ll wear each tray for at least 22 hours each day, for about three weeks at a time. Once you’ve finished wearing one tray, you move on to the next stage of treatment by switching to the next tray in the set. It usually takes just 10 to 24 months for patients to achieve their ideal teeth alignment.
After treatment is complete, you’ll have to wear a retainer to keep your new smile in place.
How ALINA Can Help with Open Bite
If you’re looking for the best way to treat your open bite, ALINA may be the right option for you. Our team of experts has more than 25 years of experience in treating various malocclusions, from mild crowding to severe open bite. We serve our patients with:
- Better materials – Every tray of ALINA aligners is crafted from space-age materials approved by the FDA, so they’re crystal clear and safe to use.
- Better technology – ALINA uses proprietary AlinaSmile technology to bring out your ideal smile in the most efficient, painless way.
- Better results – With over a million satisfied patients across the US, UK, and Canada, we know how important it is for you to feel confident with your smile—and we promise we’ll do everything in our power to help you get there!
We know that every person’s smile is unique, and we’ve developed ALINA treatment plans with that in mind. To learn more about ALINA, visit our How ALINA Works pages.
Are you ready to achieve your ideal smile? Book a consult with one of our experts today.